Extracting Data from Raima Database Manager 4.0.2 [Build 10]

User forum for the RDM family of products.

Extracting Data from Raima Database Manager 4.0.2 [Build 10]

Postby wgcarter » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:11 am

I am hoping that someone here can point me in the right direction. I have customer with a very old application that uses a flat file type of database. I can see headers in the files with "Raima Database Manager 4.0.2 [Build 10]" in them. This is an old DOS based program and the company they got it from no longer exists. They are replacing the old system with a new system that leverages SQL Server as its database engine. The new system includes import capabilities, but to use them, I need to extract the data from the old system into text or CSV files.

Does anyone know how I can extract data from this 4.0.2 version into text/csv files? I've seen posts about the dbexp utility, but I can't find it anywhere and the only item I can find on the Raima site about it suggests that it is part of a paid consulation, but it doesn't say how I can get that consulation.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
wgcarter

Re: Extracting Data from Raima Database Manager 4.0.2 [Build 10]

Postby dwilson » Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:30 am

As you mentioned, there is a program called dbexp.exe for exporting the database into CSV files. This was included in RDM 4.0.2, but if you don't have the original version then you can still use the current version, included in RDMe 10.0. You can download a free evaluation package from our website. You will have to start the Transactional File Server (TFS) before running the dbexp program, but this should be fairly simple. You can get dbexp to display all its command-line options by typing "dbexp -?".

Since the database you are trying to export was created with a 16-bit version of RDM you may have problems if there are fields of type "int" in the database, as the current version will interpret these as 32-bit values, so you will have to change them to "short" instead of "int".

Alternatively, Raima offers a data export package (not free), in which you send the database and Raima sends the exported data back, in CSV files.

Best regards,
Douglas Wilson (Raima)
dwilson

Return to Raima Database Manager